Have you ever wondered what to wear for a family photo session that actually looks good on camera? Sometimes you might see an image and like it, and not realize that what they are wearing really enhances the image. Follow these tips helps make it easier.
Tips for Dressing for the Camera
1. Texture and clothes that move are the camera’s best friend. (think linen, silk, knit, flowy dresses, etc.)
2. Don’t be afraid of print and color, but opt for smaller prints rather than larger prints.
5. Less formal looks lend themselves to more comfort + more authenticity for everyone to move, snuggle, run, and be themselves.
6. Choose a color scheme* that coordinates and includes a mix of neutrals, a light pattern and something that adds texture or movement.
Colors That Look Good on Camera & With My Editing Style
I will admit, if you dress in a neutral, light color palette, I will thank you a hundred times while editing! There are less color casts and adjustments to make. It just works well with style. But I get it, color can add another dimension to your photos and sometimes it feels right! So if you’re a color lover, follow these guidelines when planning your outfits to fit into my editing style and create beautiful images.
- Cream over white (White isn’t bad, but solid white tends to photograph with a blue cast. If you go with white, limit solid white to one person)
- Mauve/pale pink over bright pink
- Teal/faint blue pops of navy over royal blue
- Burgundy over red
- Rust over orange
- Tan/brown over black
*For newborn sessions, always choose light colored clothing. Babies have translucent skin that absorbs color on camera when you are holding them close.
Once you have figured out what to wear for a family photo session, check out my tips for how to prepare your children for a photo session.
Let’s Start Planning Your Family Photo Session
Pregnant and expecting?! Is your child growing quickly and you want to freeze this phase?! Or maybe you want updated family photos, but think you have to wait until next fall (you don’t!). Contact me and let’s start planning today. I’ll help you plan what to wear for family photos! 😉
In the meantime, check out more of my family photography work.
Meredith Green Photography specializes in maternity, newborn and family photography. I’m based in Fort Worth, TX and serve the DFW metroplex. My work captures the joy of family and the details you won’t want to forget…their little toes, those curls, that look, the snuggles! I’ve been working with families just like your for over nine years. I’m here to make your session easy and your experience memorable! I look forward to hearing from you!